Re: [OMC-Boats] Marine Fuel Additives, Gas System Treatments and Ethanol E10.

From: Andy Perakes <aperakes@...>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 23:08:15 -0400

That's a great site, Lee. I read through a big chuck and will surely return to read more.

You are very fortunate not to have seen much ethanol there. We've had it here for several years and in many cases it has been disastrous in the fullest sense of the word. Newer products (<10 years old) usually don't have major problems, but the older the product (boat, car, lawn mower, etc.), the more likely you are to have problems since the materials are less likely to be ethanol resistant. BoatUS has done an outstanding job chronicalizing the problems with ethanol since it first appeared on the eastern seaboard and boats began blowing up (yes, blowing up). There's some excellent reading on their website, including tips on how to best cope with it: http://www.boatus.com/seaworthy/ethanol.asp.

While slightly off-topic, the alternative I am rooting for is biobutanol. http://butanol.com/ has some great information for anyone interested, though I'll caution the owner of the site has a vested interest since they are trying to develop and sell their patented process. BP and DuPont have teamed up to develop biobutanol on a large scale and I can only hope they are wildly successful in meeting their goals: http://www.bp.com/genericarticle.do?categoryId=4705&contentId=7041073.

I still haven't pulled my drive. Just too much going on and now I have to race against winter. I was able to pick up a used clutch spring off eBay, but still haven't found an OMC service manual. Like a dummy I drained all the lube out of the lower gearcase before winterizing the engine so now I'm debating refilling it or just draining the block and fogging the engine (certainly don't want to run the drive dry). :(

Andy