Re: [OMC-Boats] Carb and fuel gauge

From: Justin DeSantis <duc1098desmo@...>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 13:04:56 -0400

> what with an outboard?

With any engine, the optimum storage is full tank, empty carbs. Carbs
don't hold much gas and the less gas there is the quicker is goes bad.
So carbs empty to prevent the gas in them from turning to goo and
clogging jets. Full tank to prevent condensation. If theres air space,
you can have condensation, this rusts the tank and contaminates the
gas with water. The less gas in the tank, the more room for
condensation. And the higher the ratio of water to gas. Full tank and
empty carb. I prefer to drain the carb as opposed to just running it
dry. If you drain it, it's all gone, if you run it dry there may still
be enough in there to turn to goo. Sta-bil helps. But I prefer to rely
on it for the gas in the tank. Again, the more gas, the longer it will
last.

> I had someone tell me yrs back that it's always a good idea to run the fuel
> out of the engine after EVERY use.

Overkill.