Re: [OMC-Boats] Dwell/tach

From: Lee Shuster (lib1) <lib1@...>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:03:33 -0600

NO, you're describing a SECONDARY HV INDUCTIVE pickup designed to
sense pulse firing off No.1 cylinder. I'm not surprised that's what
you are more familiar with. These induction pickups are also commonly
used on timing lights as well.

NOTE: I"M Pretty sure that's NOT what you have with the RAC If it
has the common red and black alligator clips.

This RAC tach/dwell PROBABLY hooks up to one of (two) the small
threaded terminals on the COIL. The coil has THREE CONNECTIONS.

1) HV SECONDARY which sends high voltage spark to the center
distributor terminal. IGNORE

2) + IGN (PRIMARY) Voltage from the ballast resistor (small threaded
terminal) IGNORE

3) - (PRIMARY) voltage small lead to distributor and lead to tach
(Small threaded terminal) HOOK UP THE RED TACH LEAD HERE. Connect the
BLACK TACH lead to any common ground.

THERE"S NO Timing "port" like you're used to viewing on motorcycles.
Instead there will be timing "marks" on the rotating damper which is
connected to the front crankshaft. There will be a static pointer.
Point your timing light at the pointer when the engine is running
(follow the manual instructions to adjust timing). The distributor
will mechanically advance the timing over 20 degrees as you increase
the RPMs up to roughly 2750 to 3000 RPM. It's not recommended you
alter ign timing, until you checked compression, gapped the plugs,
checked spark plug HT wire resistance/HV, set the points & dwell.

Have fun. BTW, I researched the Buick V8 faimly a little more. The 300
shares pretty much everything with the 340 and would be a no-brainer
bolt in. The 350 Buick shares very little, I'm not sure exhaust
manifolds would swap over.