[OMC-Boats] Why the OMC bashing...

From: Justin DeSantis <duc1098desmo@...>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 23:23:23 -0400

I thought this may be an interesting topic to discuss. One doesn't
have to be surfing boat sites long before you hear a lot of anti-OMC
stern drive talk. You see people caution boat shoppers to avoid OMC
outdrives. One person said specifically, "Avoid OMC sterndrives, and
if it's a stringer, RUN away." Of course, I didn't read this before I
bought mine. But it wouldn't have changed anything, I'd have still
bought my Johnson. But my questions is, why? Is it just a matter of
part availability? Is there inherent problems with the OMC design?
It's not like OMC is some fly by night outfit in the boating. Why the
distaste for the OMC stern drive? Seems to me it has some distinct
advantages, but I haven't run it long enough to know if they also come
with pitfalls. So what gives?