Re: [OMC-Boats] OMC Stringer Generation Naming

From: Lee Shuster (lib1) <lib1@...>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:18:19 -0600

As in all things OMC they evolved or were constantly improving their
product. The original "ROUND" aperture seal is mow obsolete (NLA).
These were used until mid 69 or 70. Once in a blue moon you might see
a NOS one pop up on eBay, but not often.

The ROUND seals were replaced by an improved RECTANGULAR seal which IS
STILL available.

It's possible to get VERY decent life out of these especially on non-
trimming Gen-I + II units (longer life cycle than the beloows you
speak of).
Keep it clean and hit it often with Armor-All. (Do check it for
potential leaks when you do get in the lake.)

(There are also infamous stories of boats sinking when left moored
unattended and muskrats or beavers decided to chew thru the rubber.)

BTW, if you ever have the occasion to have the intermediate unit and /
or powerhead out, you can modify the round aperture to accept the
still available rectangular seal.
Here's pics of how I did it on my 66 Evinrude (scroll down and click
to zoom in):

http://hhscott.com/evinrude/chevy_v8.htm