Re: [OMC-Boats] Cooling issue

From: Justin DeSantis <duc1098desmo@...>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:58:54 -0400

Ok, so on tomorrows agenda, pick up a tub. Let me ask you this, if I'm
getting flow on at least one side, that would mean that my impeller is
working to some extent, right? No way a bad impeller could only flow
to one side, really. I could see weak flow to both sides but not good
flow to one side and no flow to the other. The previous owner did say
that once a few years ago it started running hot, and he took the
manifolds off and found they were clogged with acorns or something.
But he said that hasn't happened since. I guess I better plan to get
up early tomorrow so I have time to do all this and still have a shot
at getting it in the water.

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 9:46 PM, BLDFW<bldfw@...> wrote:
> You know, I tried the hose/muff route and had the same problem with
> inconsistency in water flow. The problem is that if you have too much hose
> pressure, you can't be sure the water is circulating because of the pressure
> or not. Too little pressure means not enough water. Either way, your're
> not really validating the impellers functionality.
>
> Instead I picked up a 30gal tub from the local Walmart for about $9.00 and
> used that so the waterpump can pull the water at it's own pace. I jack the
> trailer up sufficient that the skeg is within about 1/2" of the bottom of
> the tub and then fill it leaving the hose running at a pace that can keep up
> with the splashing. It helps to quiet the outdrive too. Don't put it in
> gear as it will spin out about half the water in a flash! If you need to do
> that, make sure the hose water is on faster and the engine is idling only!!
>
> The squealing in the front could be due to the fact that no water is passing
> through it. I would not run it for more than a minute unless the clear
> hoses show that water is circulating. That is the first thing I checked
> everytime I start mine up. I run back and look to be sure the hoses are
> solid water streams. If both hoses are not solid colums of water, I'd
> suspect you'll have to pull the pump to check it's condition. If it looks
> fine then likely you have a problem with your seals allowing air to enter
> the system.
>
> -Bill
> Dallas, TX
> 1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive
> http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer

>>> from the internediate housing to the rear of the exhaust manifolds. As