Re: [OMC-Boats] Replacement Voltage Regulator

From: ANDY PERAKES <aperakes@...>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 17:36:22 -0400 (EDT)

New parts aren't always better than what they replace.  I about went nuts trying to track a cooling problem on a car before finally discovering the impeller on the NEW water pump I had installed wasn't anchored to the shaft.  It felt tight at install, but loosened during operation and was a bear to diagnose (this was a restoration project so there was a lot of work going on and it was not obviously traceable to the new water pump).  Another time I about went nuts trying to find a leak on a new toilet I was installing.  I couldn't believe it was still leaking after the 2nd install so I finally set it up on blocks and filled the bowl with water.  Sure enough it was weeping right through the porcelain where American Standard had tried to patch it.  Got another replacement and it did the same thing.  Went through the entire home depot inventory and every freakin' one had 1-4 repairs on it (obviously the design engineers forgot to talk to manufacturing on that one).  Got my money back and swore off American Standard (they were really snotty when I complained about it too).  Bottom line, don't rule out a potentially suspect part just because its new.