[OMC-Boats] Good boat day

From: Justin DeSantis <duc1098desmo@...>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 21:54:01 -0400

So today it was finally dry for the first day since I dragged the
Surfer home. I spent all day cleaning it up and throwing away junk
that I don't need to have on a boat. I hate a cluttered boat. I
cleared out the old flotation devices that were stuffed in storage
areas and got grungy or torn and kept the good ones. Got rid of any
fenders that weren't usable. Organized the anchor line so it's not a
tangled mess. Cleaned everything up and started buffing the surface.
Hooked it to the hose and tried firing it again. I wanted to really
let it warm up and check the idle. I was shocked to find that
everything works. And I mean everything. Every light and every switch.
Blower and bilge, no problems. That's unusual for something that old.

So I fired it up. It fired easily and ran smoothly. Idled nice. I
learned two things. My tach is not to be trusted. Not sure how, but
it's out of whack. According to my digital tach, it's idling around
700, but on the dash tach, it's saying 2000. Which is way off. So I
need to play with that. My fast idle lever still causes it to idle
faster than it should if I pull it all the way back. If I just go
about half way, it's ok. So I may just not worry about that for now.
Theres another guage on my dash and it's not hooked up. Or not
working, not sure which. It's digital with 2 buttons. You can see it
on the far left in this pic:
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/nitsujcbr/good%20ship%20lollypop/IMG_1454.jpg
 It has OMC markings. Not sure what it is. I'm thinking it's coming
out to make room for a speedo. (Unless it is a speedo and just needs
hooked up.)

Ok, now for the stupid questions that you knew were coming.... I'm
linking to a picture where I labeled the stuff I'm asking about to
make it more clear. Heres the pic.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee285/nitsujcbr/good%20ship%20lollypop/boat.jpg

1. How much water should I be getting out of the pisser when running
on the hose? There are 3 holes that the water is just dribbling out
of. But none are shooting it hard. (See pic.) All 3 are on the right
side. I labeled them in the pic. Am I right about the one I think is
the pisser? And is it a problem that water seems to be coming out of
the other 2?

2. I know where the upper gear case fill is, and I think I know where
the drain is.But I know there is another hole. I can't find it. Unless
it's the plastic plug right in the middle of the drive facing forward.
(Labeled "Whats this? in the pic.) The fill is directly on the top,
right? And I marked what I think is the drain in the pic, please
confirm.

3. When running, I'm getting some water and I assume exhaust leaking
around the point where the lower unit pivots when you steer. I marked
it in the pic. Is it a big deal that water is coming out there? Should
it not be?

4. On the top, there is a red plastic doohickey that I think the
previous owner had made. He said if you raise the motor too far, it
gets stuck and you have to remove the gear rack to get it back down. I
think he made the red plastic doohickey to keep the motor from being
raised too high. Whats the deal? What is supposed to be stopping it
from going to high. And why is it getting stuck?

I think that covers me for now. Tomorrow, all fluids are getting
changed. Maybe more clean up. The convertible top is going to the
seamstress to have some rotten zippers stitched up. It's in pretty
good shape, and I have some side curtains I got with the boat that
have never been out of the original packaging. Front tonneau cover
also in excellent shape. Monday or Tues I think I'll have it on the
river for a test run. Thanks to all the help I've gotten here. Thanks
guys.

Justin