Re: [OMC-Boats] Horn and blower

From: Lee Shuster <Lee.Shuster@...>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:57:16 -0600

Looking at you picture, you have NOT ONE but TWO, flexible 3-inch hoses, both connected to external vents mounted high on the transom to reduce the likelihood of them taking on water. It you follow them under the engine, one of them may be connected to a blower.

So now you're asking -- Why two vents? Think of one as a supply or intake and the other as an exhaust. The INLINE Blower should push air out the exhaust and draw vapors and air from the lowest point under the engine, where you may or may not find a working blower, depending on how DANGEROUSLY the last owner/user liked to live.

Sorry for sounding "PREACHY" but don't operate the boat without providing proper ventilation. AND BE ESPECIALLY on the alert for any possible oil or fuel leaks, which can easily occur at fittings, near or around the carb, filters, fuel pumps, and cut-off valves.

And once SERIOUSLY consider the installation of a Vapor Detector alarm.

The horn is also an important safety device, but it could temporarily be replaced with a whistle or hand held air horn. Over the long-haul an electric (compressor-less) horn might be an affordable, easy solution.

Lee