Re: [OMC-Boats] Blower on '67 Johnson Surfer?

From: Lee Shuster <Lee.Shuster@...>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:43:31 -0600

All OMC-built boats used an OMC-supplied, combo Blower/Bilge pump, operating off a single circuit and without a modern float-level trip switch wired to pump water unattended (as in at a marina mooring). So you should have a helm-mounted SPDT switch labeled BLOWER & PUMP.
http://www.ultimate.com/omc-boats/gallery/klauber/parts/both/Scan0013.jpg
http://cid-b35b5e0fd3a90c91.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/1967%20Johnson%20Surfer%20Owner%7C4s%20Manual%20orig.pdf

While the design is sound, and rebuilding these is possible, I prefer to have these two (bilge plumbing and engine ventilation) important safety items operating independently and with serviceable modern replacements.

BTW, I've tried the popular inline blowers and IMHO, they aren't well built and tend to be prone to bearing failure and in general they are annoyingly loud. Try the Jabsco PAR Flexmount, it's built like a tank and not that much more, mine's on it's four season and I love it.
;
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/21803/377%20710/0/Blowers/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=Blowers&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=Blowers&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=12&classNum=12111

additional resources:
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/westadvisor/10001/-1/10001/Bilge-Pumps.htm