Re: [OMC-Boats] OMC HYDRO-ELECTRIC LOWER UNITS

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:09:25 -0700

Yep - that's what is going on. Talked to another boat parts
yesterday who also knew alot about these shifters. The "extra"
shifter I bought on ebay a couple years ago as a spare for times like
this was in fact for an OUTBOARD OMC engine setup. The outboard
shifters have a switch in them that looks identical to the
strerndrive switches BUT they only send power when in forward and
neutral. Not in forward and reverse as needed for sterndrives. $
%&$##*@...!! So now I have a broken plastic 5 wire switch and a wrong
3 wire spare. Might have a source for a correct 3 wire though.
More on that later.

So yeah, part numbers would have been good to verify here, however
it's important to note the outboard switch has NO part numbers on it
anywhere and the same is probably true for the sterndrive versions of
these switches. Yes the parts manual shows two different numbers,
but they don't seem to be marked on the switches anywhere. Also
important to note the shifter I bought on ebay, although it's for an
outboard OMC, looks just like the sterndrive version. And the part
numbers for it are stamped on the inside - so not much chance of being
able to verify anyway. So the moral to this part of the story is
if you are planning to buy a spare shifter off ebay, make sure the
guy selling it KNOWS for sure it came from a stern drive not an
outboard otherwise it's useless to you.

Jeff D