Re: [OMC-Boats] adjust screw on top of shifter?

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 11:04:57 -0700

oh jeez. ok this is weird.

-I've looked at that screw and associated parts in both the housings
i have and it just seems to be connected to nothing. Hard to
understand conceptually how the things does ANYTHING, but i believe
you.

- unless im missing something, this particular adjustment doesn't make
a whole lot of sense. i'm confused. When would you ever need an
adjustment that controls hot/cold starts and the position of the "gas"
lever? That seems like putting an adjustment on a cars gas peddle to
control whether or not you give it gas when you start it. Why?

- now i am wondering if i really screwed things up and perhaps played
around with that screw and that's what caused that plastic disk piece
in the switch to break? I easily could have, but don't remember at
what point i actually started messing with the screw. All i know is
it was sort of behaving wierd. Sometimes cranking, sometimes
not. And moving the red lever may have made a difference in there
somewhere cause i'm sure out there on the water i was in a slight
panic moving stuff back and forth. But I DIDN'T mess with the screw
out on the water. Then at some point got it to crank again.
Perhaps the red lever position? Then back at dock assumed i had some
electrical thing happening with the switch. I think that's probably
the point where I fiddled with the screw - mainly out of curiousity
(as in "hmmm what's this do?")- while disassembling and testing the
switch. The whole things seems weird and I'm still not really
understanding that screw. But maybe i tightened it too much or
something trying to see what it did, played with the throttle lever,
and broke my switch? Really doubtful - i'm pretty careful. But it
seemed to be doing nothing when i turned the screw. The shift lever
moved the same, the red lever moved the same. Who knows.

Nice to know that screw adjustment can completely disable your boat
though. If a boat is not starting, that is probably the last
thing anyone would check!