[OMC-Boats] Trailers: Launching and Retrieval techniques

From: Lee Shuster <Lee.Shuster@...>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:35:20 -0600

A couple of observations on boat trailering experiences that I'd like to share. Most OMC owners still use their original OMC supplied trailers which share common design features for all hull sizes. While the OMC trailers were light-years ahead of the typical third-party trailers of the day, they can be improved. By modern day standards OMC trailers position the boat quite high. This was in part due, to provide clearance over the wheels which are on a narrow track. But the OMC engineers used rollers and a hinged tilt design to assist in launching and retrieving.

Trailers tend to be historically optimized and adapted to regional/local ramp conditions. And this can lead to heated debates on using rollers or bunks as the preferred method of supporting the boat while on the trailer, as well as launching and retrieving. I've used both and have a preference for bunked trailers, primarily because the bunks can distribute the load better (resulting in less hull hooking or warping) and bunks can easily be refurbished when the carpeting/padding wears out. BTW, a decent trailer shop can convert your OMC trailer from roller to bunk support.

But two basic rules apply to trailer boating regardless of the trailer support design:

1) Deeper trailer ramp entry is generally the recommended rule when launching.
2) Shallower trailer ramp entry is usually helpful/recommend when retrieving.

You'd be surprised how many boaters don't understand or apply those simple rules. You can add visual markers on your trailer fenders to make it easier to get consistent separate launch and retrieval depth reference points (although if you frequent different ramps, the geometry can/will change).

One frequent problem with centering the boat on the trailer (when retrieving) is caused because most boaters are lazy (or stupid) or both? They've been taught to back the trailer in too deeply, essentially to float off and then they simply reverse the process to power drive the boat on, which requires a fair amount of water between the boat and the trailer, otherwise the prop gets too shallow and requires way too much power to get all the way on the trailer. This usually results in a high level of entertainment for me and frustration for they boat owner that has quite perfected this technique.

Here's what I've settled on instead, maybe it will work for you: a) Don't back the trailer in as far for retrievals. b) I find it only a little more work, to have far less water under the boat and have my wife drive the boat, just far enough onto the submerged "mouth" trailer for me to hook up the winch line (yeah I get wet feet). c) Then I do the (harder) work with the winch dragging the boat fully onto the bunks. This method results in perfect centering every time, as the boat weight prevents it from drifting off-center. I also use this method for single-person launch/retrievals. (Yes, I realize it's a lot easier to one-person launch/retrieve with a bow-rider, as compared to climbing across a closed-deck runabout to enter/exit the boat from the bow.)

You will find a lively discussion of this (trailering) subject over on the Boston Whaler continuous wave web site. Check it out, they share a lot in common with us. But none of them are powered by OMC Electric Stringers! (At least that I know of).

Lee