Re: [OMC-Boats] Oil change procedures PHOTOS?

From: Andy Perakes <aperakes@...>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 20:42:15 -0400

Unfortuantely its not something you can really see well enough to
photograph. Essentially you install a fitting where the drain plug would
be, connect a hose to the fitting, then connect a valve to the other end of
the hose. During normal operation, the valve is closed and the hose is
routed to the top of the engine compartment and tied off as insurance should
the valve leak. When you want to drain the oil, you feed the hose through
the drain plug opening, put a bucket underneath it, open the valve and let
the oil drain out while you go drink a root beer. Sooooo much easier than
the oil pump-through-the-dipstick method. My breaking point was when I got
some sludge in the bottom of the pan and couldn't get it to pump even after
warming it up. Fearing there might be something other than sludge in there
(and that a 40-year service inspection might not be a bad idea), I had the
engine and stern drive pulled, inspected everything, installed the oil drain
(Jabsco "Oil Drain Hose and Fitting," part # 6-180800000 -- pic below, minus
the valve), routed the fuel pump vent to the carb, added a fuel filter/water
separator (Johnson part # 502905) , replaced all exhaust and cooling lines,
and changed all lubes. Other than cleaning ~1/4" of sludge off the bottom
of the oil pan (probably in part due to not being able to fully evacuate all
the oil when draining through the dipstick), no problems found and she
should be good for another 40 years!