[OMC-Boats] Got a carb rebuild problem

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 10:12:14 -0700 (PDT)

Got a problem with my Rochester 2bbl rebuild I'm hoping someone can give me some insight on.

A little history:  When I took it apart I made note of where all the pieces go so I could put it back together correctly.  It appears that someone "attempted" to rebuild this carb before but did not know what they were doing.

First off, it appears it was not soaked in any kind of carb cleaner as I found gunk that normal would be cleared out.  The source tube that supplies gas from the fuel bowl to the accelerator pump was completely clogged with gunk.  It took me about two hours of messing with it before it finally cleared out allowing flow.

The accelertor pump spings appear to be reversed with the big spring on the pump shaft itself and the smaller less springy spring down in the hole.  I'm 99.9% sure it supposed to be the other way around as the smaller spring sits funny down in the hole while the larger spring would sit on a ledge if it were in there....so I reversed them and both springs seem better fitted and working just fine.

The other problem I have is that with the kit, there were two different size steel balls, one for the "pump intake" below the accelerator pump, and one for the "pump discharge" hole under the jet cover.  BUT....when I took carb apart, it contained two balls of the same size (the larger ones).  The instructions are vague as to which size goes in which hole.  I think I may have them reversed wherein lies my problem.

I dropped a larger ball in the acelerator pump tube where it fell into the hole it's supposed to sit in but I now think the ball is supposed to be the smaller one and now I can't get it out of the hole.  I've tried compressed air in the source hole, banging on it, picking at the ball with a needle tip pic, and even heating it (no gasoline present) it to see if the ball will fall out.  So far no luck.

Anyone undertake a rebuild of this particular carb?  Is the smaller ball supposed to go in the Accelerator pump tube?  Any suggestions on how I can get that ball out of there?

I'd sure hate to have to buy another carb because of that minor (or is that MAJOR) problem.

Thanks.

-Bill
Dallas, TX
1970 Evinrude Explorer - 155 Buick V6 - OMC Sterndrive
http://www.photobucket.com/evinrude_explorer