Re: [OMC-Boats] 1966 Playmate Oil Change?

From: Lee Shuster <Lee.Shuster@...>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 11:27:11 -0600

Your Playmate has an unusual sterndrive configuration. It's power head is a modified Evinrude/Johnson/OMC V-4 2-stroke block charged with the 90-hp outboards from OMC. These being a 2-strokes, the oil is not stored in a crankcase like on a typical 4-stroke engine, but rather in an Oil tank.

Your engine used an oil-injection system which requires using 2-stroke oil and filling the oil 'TANK." This system was used so that owner/operators did not have to purchase PREMIX 2-stroke fuel, or BLEND/MIX their own gasoline/oil at the proper ratio.

For additional peace of mind, if it we mine, I would always carefully measure and PREMIX my own fuel at the correct ratio in the gasoline tank. Why risk an engine failure due to an oil injection failure?

Lee Shuster