Re: [OMC-Boats] Electrical problems

From: Lee Shuster (lib1) <lib1@...>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 10:59:39 -0600

Edward & Scott,

Let's begin this answer with some assumptions (which may OR MAY NOT be
true.) This answer will attempt to help you understand how to
troubleshoot your existing problem and also offer some important areas
in which you could modify or upgrade the safety and reliability of
your boat using available components.

BACKGROUND:

OMC added the 5-wire (vs 3-wire) STARTER INTERLOCK feature in 1969,
or both the single-lever Johnson (Electamatic) /OMC (Shift-elect) and
the push-button Evinrude (Selectric) remote helm controls. The
"neutral safety" or "cut-out" switch is incorporated inside the remote
control until. To determine which type you have without opening the
remote control, simply inspect the wiring connector for either three
or five conductors. If there are a pair of white wires, you have the 5-
wire, STARTER INTERLOCK remote control.

So only the last two years of OMC BOAT production have that important
safety feature designed to PREVENT starting the engine with the drive
gear clutches engaged (in either FORWARD or REVERSE.) (Electrically
the various shifter types are schematically identical. But only the
later (improved) 5-wire types can affect starting. The principal is
no different than the PARK-NEUTRAL, shifter interlock found on
automatic transmission vehicles or the CLUTCH-ENGAGED saftey switch
required on manual shift vehicles).

So assuming Edward's boat is the still the original (pre-1969 type ),
3-wire shifter, Scott, your suggestion simply doesn't apply. (But,
it's a VERY good safety feature to retrofit on these older models). I
converted my 1966 Evinrude (push-button) 3-wire to a 5-wire OMC
(single-lever) style and prefer it for the peace of mind. But Scott's
right about one thing -- Every once in awhile, I do have to recheck
the throttle position when trying to start, simply to "RESET" the
safety interlock switch.

So Edward, back to your NO-START issue:

Some Basic electric stuff that can effect a "No-Start" Situation:
STARTER MOTOR (including internal brushes), STARTER RELAY (solenoid)
(part of starter motor), (IGN) switch, STARTER ASSIST RELAY (solenoid)
(this is an identical part to the OMC Tilt relays -- I carry a spare
onboard), AMMETER, ALL WIRES & CONNECTORS, MASTER DISCONNECT SWITCH
(Some OMC Boats), FUSE, and BATTERY.

If you have the ability to visually read electrical schematics you may
find this helpful:
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/images/wiring/68_v6_ALL_WIRE.jpg

YOUR QUESTION:
As you read this diagram you will find the answer to your question:

>> "Are they any inline fuses between the ignition switch and the
starter?" <<

THE ANSWER:
The short answer is NO, at least not technically between the switch
and starter as ORIGINALLY factory built). The IGN fuse (located in
your fuse panel) is located between the ammeter and the switch (BAT)
position. If the fuse is BLOWN or MISSING, it will effect ALL IGNITION
Functions (including ON and START). And you stated that you observed
electrical power, elsewhere, right?

So I would begin looking at the following and in this ORDER:

1) FULLY CHARGED (and LOAD-TESTED) BATTERY ( at least 12.5 V DC
resting voltage)
2) FUNCTIONING STARTER ASSIST RELAY (DOES IT EVEN CLICK or CHATTER
when engaging START position on IGN Switch?)
3) ALL WIRING & CONNECTORS MUST BE CLEAN AND CORROSION FREE (DO
FORGET ALL GROUNDS, as well).
4) STARTER MOTOR/STARTER RELAY ASSEMBLY (CAUTION: DO NOT REPLACE
with non-MARINE rated automotive type starters, see below:
http://www.boatpartsinfo.com/boat-starters.html

UPGRADES:
On my boat, I found the wiring "harness" between the starter motor and
the starter assist relay was "brittle" and the connectors were
corroded. It was relatively easy and inexpensive to refurbish this "
wiring harness." While I was "down in that rather difficult-to-reach
neighborhood, I replaced the starter assist relay, for cheap
reliability insurance and then for weight savings I replaced the
original starter motor. The newer design motors are also more
efficient, and they draw less electrical current under starting loads,
prolonging battery and alternator charging component life.

Also if you do decide you need an improved/new starter motor, (the
original GM Delco-Remy (10MT-series) starter motor weighs a ton - use
it for an anchor!) there are several MARINE-RATED (conforming to the
SAE-J1171 standard) that feature higher-torque and much lighter
weight. Just make sure your replacement starter is a suitable
(physical/electrical) replacement for your OMC starter by your OMC
part number. You don't want a replacement starter motor that spins you
engine backwards!