Re: [OMC-Boats] Guide to OMC STRINGER Power Tilt

From: DOUGLAS JULIEN <dfjulien@...>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 06:05:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Lee:

Great job!  My own experience is that the bracket holding the worm gear and shaft in is absolutely required.  I have operated three 1968-69 sportsmans and each has required the bracket, whether or not the snap-ring housing is damaged.  There's just too much pressure for the snap ring to hold the worm shaft in.  OMC changed the design for the 400-800 series in 1974, I think, so that three bolts held the thing together instead of a snap ring.  From my own experience, I don't see how anyone can operate without this bracket.  But a quick perusal of photos on Phil's site will show many boats without it.  Maybe I drive too rough.

Attached is a photo from ebay showing the bracket and instructions.  One thing - I have had good luck mounting the bracket as snug as possible, but then putting a Kennedy half-dollar under the bracket prongs to force a snugger fit against the end of the shaft assembly.  Perfect size and won't corrode.

-Doug Julien