Re: [OMC-Boats] Out drive opperation question

From: Andy Perakes <aperakes@...>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 20:53:19 -0400

The ball gears used to transfer power from the engine to the stern drive are also known as spider gears (at least in our neck of the world). Its pretty common for driveline components to have multiple names, i.e., prop shaft = drive shaft, ring gear = crown gear, etc. Bill had some pics a few e-mails back. One looked like it might be okay, the other looked like the sides of the each ball had been worn off (hard to tell from the pic). Both looked bone dry when they should have a good polish of grease on them. Like I said, I hit the face of each gear with a pea-sized blob of grease pretty much ever time I go out (I usually run a full day when I go out; after short trips I usually don't need to hit them again). I should add, I launch in a relatively shallow creek so I need to run with the unit up for the 1st and last ~1/2 mile each day. With the unit up, the gears operate under angle where they'll see more sliding motion. If you only "drive" with the unit fully down, there should be little to no relative motion between the teeth and you shouldn't need to grease them as often.