Re: [OMC-Boats] 1970 Sportsman 155 outdrive stuck in up position

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 22:11:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Sat, 23 May 2009, William R. Lindow, DMD wrote:
> Took my boat out today and it ran great. When docking, I turned off
> the engine and raised the outdrive. Got it onto the trailer and
> noticed the outdrive was turned to the right and I was unable to
> lower it or turn the steering wheel. Any thoughts would be
> appreciated. Bill

I would guess you snapped a steering cable ("rope"). Look under the
dashboard behind the steering wheel - there should be two black cables
running from the wheel, through pulleys, along the right side of the boat,
around another set of pulleys in the back right corner, and to the engine.
Make sure they're both taut - if one is slack then it probably snapped.
Fortunately it's not all that expensive to repair, though it is a fairly
cumbersome process to rethread it. I've seen the outdrive tilt mechanism
bind up when it is turned all the way to one side.

Ethan