[OMC-Boats] My own Seat Saga....

From: BLDFW <bldfw@...>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:58:29 -0700 (PDT)

You guys are killing me.  I'm about to bite the bullet and make a one time decision.

I want to be able to swivel and face the rear of my '70 Explorer when hanging out on the lake with friends and the only way to do that is to replace the original fixed seat frames with a short post and two new front seats.  It's killing me that it's going to be about $1k to it right (meaning I won't be sh*t kicking myself later for not doing it the way I wanted).

Originally I started off with plans to rehab the front seats.  I bought new plywood so I could change the shape somewhat and then got a quote of about $175-200 per seat to do some custom vinyl work.  I wanted them to be in a style similar (for those old enough to remember) to the front bucket seats on a '72 Firebird ESPRIT (not the TransAM); a nice bolster effect around the seat perimeter and an indented center pad.  The bolster would be white while the insert a darker blue to match the floor risers found in the Explorer.  I thought the rehab price was reasonably (and cheap).

But then I started reading stories about the tri-hulls running a bit rougher across a choppy lake and that I would "get beat to death" so I started shopping again for something that had more give than the plywood platforms.  iboat has some Atwood 'mid-level' bucket seats with a flip up bolster that would be nice for slow speed maneuvering that look great and have the spring suspension under the seat pad.  Check it out:

http://www.iboats.com/Avenir_Mid_Back_Seating/dm/cart_id.497330662--session_id.990803145--view_id.331505

This style is also under consideration:

http://www.iboats.com/Centric_II_SAS_w_Lock_Down_Base_Color_Gray_Accent_Color_Blue/dm/cart_id.497330662--session_id.990803145--view_id.470326
http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/index.cgi?view_id=470326

They're all a bit on the spendy side hence the struggle.  Go cheap and always wonder if I did the right thing (which cheap usally means NO) or spend the money up front and be happier with the decsion (even though I'd second guess my self about the price).

Decisions, decisions!!

-Bill
Dallas, TX
1970 Evinrude Explorer