Re: [OMC-Boats] overheating - the saga continues

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 11:31:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008, JEFF DOOD wrote:
> so he is completely baffled, i am too, and the only thing it seems
> left to try is the water pump on the engine. taking my reserve pump
> from my other engine out there today and giving that a try. if it's
> heating up under throttle, it seems that maybe it's not getting the
> water pumped around in the engine as it should be. but we've been
> wrong most of the time so far. i asked about blockage in the engine,
> but they said the channels are so big it's not likely. so maybe the
> pump thats on there is just not doing it's job as it should.
> although it's such a simple device, i don't see how it couldn't. any
> other ideas?

It'd be pretty stupid if this were the problem, but have you checked the
belt? My belt loosened up one time and it would turn the pump fast enough
at idle, but slip at higher RPM and the engine would overheat. It looked
fine, wouldn't slip when moved by hand, and was turning at high RPM, but
just not fast enough. I actually noticed this problem because my charging
system wasn't working well, but then realized the engine was overheating
too.

The belt is adjusted by moving the alternator - I don't know what the
tension spec is, but I got it really tight by tightening the bolt while
pulling the alternator away with a prybar (i.e. stick). I think the belt
deflects maybe 1/2" under 20 pounds of force or so.

Ethan