Re: [OMC-Boats] overheating - the saga continues

From: Mike Rewegan <mikerewegan@...>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 12:29:07 -0400 (EDT)

Have you pumped grease in the swivel bearing? Dry swivel area can sometimes allow exh gases to displace water flow from impeller

JEFF DOOD <jdood@...> wrote: still trying to pin this down. still feels very close, but not
enough to take her for a weekend spin. last week mechanic found a
ton of buildup in one of the manifolds. cleaned it out. engine
holds at 170degrees in gear on hose. took to river to test at
dock. at idle it held pretty steady at about 180degrees for a long
time. then when put in forward, in about 2-3 minutes it's right
up to 210degrees. not good - still overheating. so here's
whats been checked so far:

- both manifolds clean now
- sending unit good
- multiple gauges tested, gauge appears good
- both gauge AND heat sensing scope indicate same temp
- water pump/impeller checked today - good
- no kinks in lines

so at this point he is stumped. and i'm limited. so what he is
suggesting now is to replace all the hosing (temporarily) with clear
hosing to see what things look like when the engine is running and
water is flowing. he has done this before i guess. says water
should be solidly filling hoses normally. but if there's air bubbles
flowing by it will indicate something or other. sound right?

anything else in the chain that can be checked?

and of course, everything seems fine when tested on the hose, but then
when in the water under resistance the story changes. the hose is
worthless.

it's been interesting nonetheless. i am still amazed that the intake
for the water is just this little 1/2" x 2" screen opening. Yet
there's supposedly enough water taken in through that to fill 4-5
5/8" hoses. then exit out at the end through 2 big 2" hoses. How
does all that water get in there through such a little intake?

i have family in town this upcoming weekend and i really want this
thing on the water. i am planning on spending most of my week in his
shop. grrrr.

jeff