[OMC-Boats] Tach calibration

From: mckeown <mckeown@...>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 11:31:09 -0500

There was some discussion here a few weeks back about tachometer accuracy. I
bought a tool recently that you may find useful if that topic concerns you.
On eBay I found a Digital Laser Photo Tachometer (use this term to search).
The one I got was from egeneralproducts (no affiliation), and it cost around
$31 with shipping.

To use this device, you put a piece of reflective tape (supplied) on
anything that rotates and determine RPM with great accuracy. If your boat
tachometer is adjustable, you could calibrate it using one of these. At the
least, you could figure out correction factors for various tach readings so
you'd know what the engine speed really was.

I bought mine to calibrate spindle speeds on a wood shaper I repowered. It
should be a very useful tool for lots of other jobs, too. Setting engine
idle speed should be a piece of cake, for instance.

Bob