Re: [OMC-Boats] OMC Stringer trim

From: Gregory B. Fell <gfell@...>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:59:41 -0500
I have a 1969 Sportsman 155.  Regarding the hydrofoil mentioned by Lee, I installed this one a couple of years ago  http://www.marine-dynamics.com/about.html .  I noticed two significant improvements -- 1) the time to get on plane was drastically reduced.  As I like to ski, this was good.  2) cavitation in a high speed sharp turn was reduced.  Top end speed is supposedly reduced; but, since I don't cruise in the red RPMs, that was a worthy sacrifice.

Gregory B. Fell
The Fell Law Firm
3300 Oak Lawn Avenue, Suite 700
Dallas, Texas 75219
PHN: 972-488-8177
FAX: 214-219-4218

GFELL@...
Fell Law Firm Logo

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. This message may be an attorney-client communication and/or work product and as such is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.

This communication does not reflect an intention by the sender or the sender's client or principal to conduct a transaction or make any agreement by electronic means. Nothing contained in this message or in any attachment shall satisfy the requirements for a writing, and nothing contained herein shall constitute a contract or electronic signature under the Electronic Signatures in Global and National Commerce Act, any version of the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act or any other statute governing electronic transactions.

MCKEOWN wrote:
Great information, Lee, thanks a million. My companion did suggest the "slow down" option a number of times, but that didn't seem too desirable to me! I think I may investigate the trim tab addition, as that seems like a fairly easy solution to getting some degree of trim.

There appears to be some degree of adjustability in the front engine mount. Has anyone tried to re-trim using this feature? I know from past experience that sometimes a very small change in thrust angle makes a big difference in boat dynamics.

You mentioned an under-floor water issue. I shipped a fair amount of water during several hours (maybe 20 gallons?) not sure where it came from, but the bilge pump wasn't working and a lot came out the plug at end of day. There seems to be a small opening at the bottom front of the bilge. Can water get into the foam through that opening? Is that harmful to the foam or the boat structure? Has anyone attempted to seal said opening? I assume it's nice to give water a way out if it should get into that space, but it'd be nice if bilge water didn't get in there.

One other thought on that water in the boat. I just noticed that the blower outlet is right at the beltline, behind a piece of trim. It seems that following seas could likely get that high and admit a fair amount of water. Has anybody else seen this as a problem?

I need one of the forward-facing aluminum vent scoops for my boat, the ones maybe 1-1/2" tall, 5" wide, and 10" long. Does anybody have one of these?

Bob

Hi Bob,

Good to hear about your experiences. I have a 16-ft Evinrude Sportsman
(a similar hull configuration to yours) and can offer my
"for-what-they-are worth" observations:

1) Be thankful you have the last hull design OMC released in 1970. It
incorporated a 4-inch deeper dead rise by extending the keel over
earlier (1964 - 1968) versions of the same 16-foot Johnson and Evinrude
hulls. You boat may have the new-for-1970 water ballast tank under the
floor. Check to see if you are carrying any excess under-floor water
(weight).  The rougher ride is Gull-Wing the trade-off for better
stability. Deep Vee's are better at cutting thru the rougher stuff but
are less stable and can be susceptible to chine-walking (lateral
movement underway). Yeah, my better half always complains, "can't we
slow down?"  Especially rough are the seats the closer to bow you get,
where the up/down motion is more pronounced.

2) The propensity to porpoise is also pretty common on these boats.
There are some cures -- some more practical than others:

a) Back off the throttle and slow the boat down, to the point of
stopping the unwanted oscillations.

b) Add electric or hydraulic transom mounted trim tabs that allow you to
adjust the attitude for load, speed and see conditions. Does your boat
have the small, aluminum fixed tabs?

c) some people have reported adding a hydro-foil on the sterndrive's
anti-cavitations plate, reduces proposing (personally haven't tried
one).

d) Do everything possible to lighten the aft-end of the boat. I won't
suggest practical ways to this but anything you have back there
contributes to the problem.

Lastly, DO NOT TRIM out the STRINGER outdrive. Many people sadly did.
The balls gears were not designed or intended to drive a raised lower
leg under power except for minimal, shallow water use, at idling speed,
(and even then I hate to even do that). To overcome the power trim
limitation OMC eventually added a hydraulically driven jack lift under
the lower front engine mounts. These were primarily offered on the
short-leg Ford V8's and the inline Chevy's. I think retrofitting one
under a GM V-series (Buick V6-V8 or Small Block Chevy V-8) would prove
to be difficult and not very useful. If you go the transom-mounted
movable trim tab rout, be sure and check that you boat's transom is
reinforced, as it can generate some serious forces and some of these
boats had very thin transoms.

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City