[OMC-Boats] Trim tabs attachment

From: Micah Donahue <mdonahue@...>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 10:05:31 -0400

Kenneth --
We had same issue w/ water in hull foam, presumably from those bolts
and a couple small hull punctures. We also found ours attached w/
toggle bolts/anchors as you describe. We sucked the water out w/ a
shop vac for at least an hour, and then let it drain/dry for at least
a month under cover. That prob didn't completely dry it but it had to
have helped. :) Eventually, we may have to remove/rebuild the deck
and foam beneath it, but I certainly hope not.

We filled the old holes w/ West System, thickened w/ chop (but Bondo
works great too). We drilled new holes in the metal tabs and drilled/
TAPPED new pilot holes in the transom for ~3/8 x ~2" stainless lag
bolts (not screws).* I don't remember exact bolt size. We bedded the
tabs w/ 5200 sealant, which prob would have held them on without the
bolts!

*You probably know you can get a drill/tap set for this at any
hardware store, and we thought the transom was plenty thick enough.

Feel free to email back w/ any Qs.

Cheers,
-Micah Donahue
Newburyport, MA