Re: [OMC-Boats] Steering cable routing

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 14:07:32 -0500 (CDT)

As long as we're discussing cables, has anyone worked with the cable system
on the sterndrive systems? I snapped a cable while winterizing it last
year (shouldn't've waited until it was frozen!) and have been fixing it
this week. I replaced the snapped cable, which ran from the mid-ship
junction/spring clamp assembly up to the steering wheel, but I haven't had
the courage to replace the other (longer) cable yet. The old cable is very
stiff and frayed and the new cable is so much more supple and robust
looking, so I wanted to replace all of it before it failed entirely.

It looks pretty complicated to rethread it onto both sides of the steering
drum on the intermediate housing and keep it centered. Is there a trick to
doing it? I'm talking about the cable that runs from the forward steering
wheel drum back to the sterndrive drum, then back up to the mid-ship clamp.
What kind of tension is appropriate in the system? My thought is that one
just wraps it around the sterndrive drum, gets it approximately centered,
clamps it down, then cuts the other two ends to length after assembly,
setting the tension on the one side at the steering wheel and the tension
on the other side at the extension to the steering wheel?

Ethan Brodsky