[OMC-Boats] Oil drain valve

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 00:26:36 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Andy Perakes wrote:
> On Fri, 07 Dec 2007, Lee wrote:
> >Glad you had success finding your parts. When you get a chance how about
> >shawing some pics or a sketch of how you implemented your oil drain hose
> >and also your fuel pump overflow hose.
> Hi, Lee. I will be happy to do that! I went up to see the work first
> hand over the w/e, but didn't think to take pictures. The oil drain hose
> he's installing was a kit, I think by a company called Jesco? He said
> its a standard part and he's installed a lot of them over the years. It
> basically replaces the oil pan drain plug the routes out the boat drain
> plug hole like on newer boats. I'll get some pics and confirm the name
> of the kit and the manufacturer when I go back up next weekend to drop
> off more parts.

I put in an oil drain valve a couple years ago and it's a real time saver
over the plastic bag trick or making a mess in the bilge. I'm using a
valve made by a company called Fumoto. It's a brass piece that goes in
place of your oil drain plug. It's got a metal valve handle with a
spring-loaded catch and a hose barb.

When I want to change the oil, I slip a few feet of 3/8 fuel line up
through the bilge drain (with the boat on the trailer) and onto the barb
and secure it with a hose clamp (perhaps not necessary, but I'm paranoid).
Then I flip the lever open and it drains right out - you can drain it
straight into jugs and not even get your drain pan dirty. It does drain a
lot slower though through all that hose...

It's survived two seasons of boating without leaking and they're certified
by a bunch of manufacturers (and originally installed on many boats and
heavy duty engines), so it seems pretty reliable.

If you've got the 225 in^3 V-6 (155 hp) you need the F101N - 1/2-20
threads. Be sure to get one with the "N" at the end - that means it has
the hose nipple. I bought mine from a place named Tewco near Milwaukee
(tewco@...) for $22.50 plus a few bucks shipping.

Here's the manufacturer's web site (you can also order them direct):
  http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/#N-Type_Valve

----
<A HREF="http://www.engr.wisc.edu/~brodskye/"> Ethan Brodsky </A>