Re: [omc-boats] battery support foam block

From: lib1@...
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 13:27:35 -0600

This is an interesting topic. OMC was an "early adopter" in helping to set
the industry standards for "level" floatation when swamped at full-rated
load capacity.

Originally this "extra" rear area floatation wasn't critical on the early
17's and 16's with the relatively lightweight 2-stroke V4 outboards and
sterndrives.

But with the added rear weight of the V6 and V8's the rear floatation
"blocks" were added to keep a swamped boat level.

Mine were also fairly beat up and I removed them when I did the V8
re-powering project. From a safety standpoint this may have been foolhardy
and I don't recommend it. (The V8 added about 80 lbs) Is the boat now
suddendly going to sink? No. It will mostly likely ride bow-high if it ever
gets swamped. (I also installed a new (higher capacity) bilge pump with
auto-sensor.) I also carry manual (hand) bailing pumps and buckets.

It's a judgement call but I too, needed the storage space. And it also makes
me think twice about getting into situations where the stern might take on a
lot of water.
If you boat does ever become swamped, try to move the passengers forward
(but remember to stay with the boat).

Lee