Re: Re: [omc-boats] 69 sportsman 155 new to group

From: BC Howk <bchowk@...>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 12:58:17 -0500 (CDT)

I did the pertronix upgrade several years ago, minus the flame thrower coil. Is an easy and great upgrade,

Still wanted to go to the HEI for hotter spark without possibility of cross fire in the small cap. on your site I see you were running an external coil? I was hoping to use the intergrated coil unit but wiring comes of a plastic connector molded into the cap and that interferes with the marine thermostat housing.

Hoping that someone out there has a better option other than hacking off the plastic moulded connector and making a new pigtail for the wiring.

Thanks for your response, I love your site and the stuff you have done with your sportsman, My post on OMC-boats has not shown up yet but your site inspired much of the stuff I've done, Thanks.

>From: lib1@...
>Date: 2007/04/22 Sun AM 09:01:34 CDT
>To: omc-boats@...
>Subject: Re: [omc-boats] 69 sportsman 155 new to group

>Yes, as Dave points out the Pertronix is an alternative and I DO mention it on my website: http://hhscott.com/evinrude/buick_v6.htm%a0 Quote: >>Another electronic ignition upgrade alternative is available from Pertronix, Inc. Their Ignitor electronic module replaces the points and fits inside the stock distributor, retaining stock appearance. <<
>Two additional points worth mentioning about the Pertronix:  1) They are available in "Marine" rated versions, including optional marine coils and 2) The Ignitor II offers several advatanges over the original Ignitor, including: a) support for higher output coils, b) auto-shutdown senses if ignition key is accidently left ON, c) auto-dwell sensing for 3X better output performance in the 3000 to 5000 RPM range. Petronix also offers complete range Marine Billet Distributors for the small block Chevy, as well as Rev-Limiters and MSD-like multi-strike ignition modules. Over the winter, I installed a Pertronix II in the my Chevy which uses the original OMC-supplied Mallory flat-top marine distributor. I also upgraded the original coil, spark plug wires and put in a set of NGK Iridium (XR51X) plugs. The goals are: no more ballast resistor needed, no more fussying with points/dwell tune-ups, better extended trolling (low-speed) by running a hotter spark which should reduce plug fouling, and maybe a tad better mile
age & performance. Installation was easy (about an hour) and I'll let you know how it turns out. If I recall, Summit Racing got mine here in a day or two. If you do install a Petronix I or II, save the old points plate, as it could be re-installed, in the unlikely event the Petronix electronic module fails Lee Shuster  ----- Original Message ----- From: Drusilas@... To: omc-boats@... Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2007 7:19 AM Subject: Re: [omc-boats] 69 sportsman 155 new to group