[omc-boats] timing cover seal replacement

From: Thomas Klauber <tklauber@...>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 17:23:13 -0400

I have had a slow drip of oil from the lower edge of the timing gear cover for years and am going to fix it before I get water in the passages this summer so I can remove the water pump and get to it without all that water flying around. I got everything off including the torsional damper (which came off nicely BTW and yes I do have the tool to reinstall it and hope it works equally as well). I still have the timing gear cover on and see that the seal to the crankshaft does not appear to be leaking and I think it is coming from the gasket that goes between cover and block. I have a new NAPA cover seal and crankshaft seal that I bought several years ago for this purpose. My question is 1.Do I replace the crankshaft seal or leave well enough alone? 2. Should I drain the oil before removing the timing gear cover?

BTW - I am using a boat my brother loaned me to run around the Little Pee Dee River here which is shallow. I use the Rogues in deep water. This boat is on loan till he gets back in the states. He is on Military Sealift Command. The boat has a 1995 Evinrude 40 HP outboard which I took in for repairs. Do you realize that boat mechanics in Myrtle Beach charge 90 dollars an hour for service. Jeez boating is expensive if you dont do your own work. Hope to have the Rogue up and running later this week. It sure looks better and better each year. Happy Boating Everyone! TK