[omc-boats] MIME-Version: 1.0

From: ruddfamily4@...
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 16:14:30 -0700

I have a 1969 sportsman, i believe i am the 3rd owner and have owned the boat for over 20 years with very little trouble, The only problem i seem to have that re-occurs is the tilt mech. breaks, the clultch doesn't work or doensn't work properly.
If i hit anything, the unit raises up but in the process it pushes the worm gear and cap out of the end of the thilt mech. and into the bottom of the lake. Last time it broke some of the alum casting around the retaining ring.
I checked some web pages and the worm gear, o ring and brass plug are pretty expensive. This old classic runs well, however i only get about 30mph at 3800 rpm with the v6.
I am looking for suggestions to remedy the tilt problem, and suggestions on increaasing the speed to closer to the factory spec of 40mph.
thanks for any advice.
Keith