[omc-boats] Re: omc-boats-digest V1 #594

From: Micah Donahue <mdonahue@...>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 12:28:48 -0400

So re: the parts catalog, I guess I'll order the Johnson/Evinrude one.

I'm planning to replace the axle on my original '68 trailer as well,
unless anyone has info on replacing the hubs alone?
My current thinking is the spindles may be bad anyway, and if I go
full axle I will have "reset" myself so I can more easily get
bearings and seals.

-Micah

> [...]
> is (it was swapped in).
> I think I remember seeing a table of engine #s somewhere from the
> Ultimate site. But I've tried every link on the Evinrude/OMC page and
> can't find it again!
>
> If anyone has the URL for this, I'd be mighty grateful.
>
> Thanks,
> - -Micah
>
> Manchester, MA
> 1968 Sportsman 120 w/ 155 swap
>
> - -----
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 08:07:23 -0600
> From: <lib1@...>
> Subject: Re: [omc-boats] Sportsman engine model/serial # lookup?
>
> As far as the question is it Evinrude, is it Johnson or is it
> OMC? The
> answer it usually doesn't matter.
>
> I like to use the E/J/O moniker when parts are universal.
>
> Over at www.fiberglassics.com they like to use JEGO for
> Johnson/Evinrude/Gale/OMC as they are typically talking about older
> outboards, not stringer sterndrives. see: http://
> www.fiberglassics.com/jego/
>
> Note: Us old farts remember when Gale was another badge-engineered
> brand of
> OMC outboard and later the Parts & Accessory Division of Outboard
> Marine
> Corporation.
>
> Typically mechanical parts on our boats like the sterndrives, are
> technically identical to OMC sterndrives, except for the little
> logo badge
> on the top cover of the sterndrive.
>
> The history was OMC tried to market boats for about 18-months under
> the
> OMC-brand, but then decided it would be easy to sell thru the
> established
> dealer network of Evinrude and Johnson dealers. (Gale was
> discontinued as a
> branded outboard after 1962).
>
> So the only time you need to specify a part that is unique to
> Johnson or
> Evinrude, is when it is a trim, logo, motor cover (on outboards) or
> color
> specific. Oh, and of course let's not forget they decided to have some
> distinction between Johnson/OMC's single-lever remote control and
> Evinrude's
> Selectric push-button remote control. Roughly the same difference
> as trying
> to tell a Plymouth Voyager from a Dodge Caravan. Only the badges
> and some
> minor trim pieces are different.
>
> There's a good book on E/J/O history (along with E/J/O boat model
> numbers)
> at: http://hhscott.com/evinrude/all_omc_boats.htm
>
> I've only compiled a page to help decode OMC ENGINE model numbers at:
> http://hhscott.com/evinrude/stringer_models_72.htm
>

> If your boat truly is 1968 Sportsman 120 it should have originally
> had a
> boat model number of: 1968 Evinrude 231605 S Sportsman 120 I/O

Almost exactly -- it's the 2nd one in the table, 234605S Sportsman
120 I/O
The engine is a '69 based on the decoders -- it's # HUFM-69M.
-Micah

> The 120 I/O unit itself would have been a CUE-16-C from 1968, The
> Buick V6
> 155 should have a HUE prefix. The middle number will decode the
> model year
> of the engine from table on the webpages I've listed above.

Don't have the #s on this at the moment, but thx!
-Micah