Re: [omc-boats] rigging up a warning horn

From: lib1@...
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 19:43:00 -0600

Typically, these "idiot" lights are wired in series as follows from battery negitive to battery positive:

( - ) Engine ground --> Temp Sensor Resistor/Switch (Switch closes when "hot") --> Signal Wire --> Bulb "A" --> Filament --> Bulb "B" --> Fuse --> +12 V Supply (typically at IGN switch) (+)

Most likely you could hook up your buzzer in parallel to the bulb filament and it will work. You could also "isolate" the buzzer load by using a relay. This way the Temp sensor/switch only has the small relay coil load to "carry" or "see," in addition to the bulb. Using this relay method (essentially a remote controlled switch) you could use a car horn as your annuciator. That will get your attention!

Just an idea, have you ever tested the cyl head temp sensor using pan of hot water and a thermometer? Just to make sure it works?

Hope this makes sense....

Lee Shuster