Re: [omc-boats] Emailing: Old-OMC-Boat-Early-1960s-Parts-

From: David <odin@...>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 11:20:15 -0600

Ah yes, it has happened to me again - I was crusing along in my Johnson Seasport and smelled something hot - naturally I checked the
water stream out of the sterndrive, then felt the manifolds - water was running fine and the manifolds were cool - so all must be OK!
Wrong! and I should have remembered because it happened once 12 years ago - the smell and heat were coming from the main bearing in the
intermediate housing - the seal gave way and the oil slipped out - fortuneately I was able to idle the mile back to the dock - but the
first time it happened it happened far from the dock and quickly - the bearing siezed, burned the bearing housing seat, and the spindle
on the shaft broke - high and dry and had to be hauled home. So, remember to pull the screw above the sterndrive and check the oil -
also look for small amounts of oil on the top of the exhaust tunnel running to the sterndrive. Some models have grease zerks instead
of oil - given em a pump of grease as well. Dave