Re: [omc-boats] FEDS turn away Rescue Boat Volunteers

From: LOUPALSKIP@...
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2005 17:58:50 EDT

I'm not the least bit baffled Lee. Remember, these are "government people"
making decisions. There is a reason that they work for the government and
not private industry. Most of them are unable to think for themselves. If
they could, they would not be able to stomach the frustration that comes with
working for the government. They are unable to distinguish between the
"letter" of the law and the "intent" of the law. I'm sure there is some law,
technicality, or ruling against getting these airboats from Florida, although I'm
also sure that whatever the intent of the original legislation or ruling, it
was NOT intended to keep folks from being rescued in a flood.

Skip Redman
Buena Park, CA

FEMA REFUSES TO ALLOW FLORIDA AIRBOATS TO HELP WITH RESCUE AND RECOVERY
EFFORTS: FEMA Director Michael Brown has acknowledged the agency's inadequate
response to the hurricane recovery efforts. _Floridians want to help by
volunteering 500 airboat pilots to help rescue hurricane victims and transport
relief workers._
(http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/state/orl-caneboats0205sep02,0,979832.story?coll=orl-home-headlines&track=rss) But FEMA won't let
them in. Robert Dummett, state coordinator of the Florida Airboat Association,
said, "We cannot get deployed to save our behinds" because FEMA will not
authorize them to enter New Orleans. Rep. Mark Foley (R-FL) thinks providing
airboats to the region is "a perfect solution to the chaos and difficulty getting
people out of their flooded homes." James Brown, a manager of 14 airboats,
said, "We're willing to go, we're able to go, but it's all up to FEMA."

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City

PS -- Apologies if this offends anyone -- I'm baffled when I see stuff like
this.