Re: [omc-boats] Trailer oscillation - cures -

From: LeeHazen@...
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:50:31 EDT

In a message dated 8/14/05 10:58:11 AM Central Daylight Time,
LOUPALSKIP@... writes:

<< I have an 1967 Evinrude Sportsman with the original trailer. I purchased
it
 in Arkansas and towed it back to California. I did have some trouble with
 fishtailing, but I attributed it to uneven tire wear. >>

Low tire pressure will contribute to fishtailing - on the trailer AND on the
car's wheels - especially the rear tires.

An anti sway clutch is available that connects between the car hitch frame
and the boat trailer frame that will stiffen the rig and eliminate fish
tailing.
Reese hitches sells them

Fishtailing or oscillation is very dangerous as you can lose control if the
motion can not be stopped by counter steering or slowing down.

I call it "the tail wagging the dog" .

I've towed travel trailers a lot back in the 70's and 80's and there's nothing
like having a good reese class 3 under car reciever and hitch with leveling
bars and anti sway brake to make trailer towing a pleasure. Electric brakes
are a big help too.

And speaking of such a vehicle - I have one I'll sell if anyone needs a great
tow car. It's a l979 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser Wagon with 403 cu in engine,
auto 350 transmission, class 3 receiver and hitch, leveling bars and anti sway
brake and electric brake controller. A wiring socket is next to the hitch for
a travel trailer AND there is a cable for boat trailers as well..

This car does not use oil or leak fluids. It is strong and reliable, original
faded
paint, little surface rust, no rust throughs, 189k miles and ready to drive
anywhere if you put new rear tires on it. It's OK locally with the existing
rear tires, but the tread is pretty thin.

Asking $950 here in Hendersonville, TN. It will pass MARTA inspection.
Price includes the hitch , bars, and anti sway clutch/brake.

Lee Hazen