[omc-boats] cleat safety

From: Thomas Klauber <tklauber@...>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 12:58:04 -0400

My 69 Rogue has the plastic cleats and the backing behind the fiberglass is a fairly thin plywood and metal plate. The metal plate corroded away and the nuts broke off so there is nothing holding the cleats on but they still feel sturdy. If you are going to use those cleats for any serious lifting then you should check under them to make sure the construction has not deteriorated like on mine which had spent some time in salt water with a prior owner. They are the dickens to get to and I checked mine out last year when I redid the bilge. The plastic rear cleats are cracked and real crummy so I got a pair of chrome ones from (you guessed it) ebay and have yet to install them but will some day. Tom