Re: [omc-boats] Wiring Sub Harnesses

From: LShuster \(lib1\) <lib1@...>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:31:46 -0600

If wiring seems complicated, it sometimes helps to break it down, and to try & understand what the basic sub-harness functions are. This wiring schema-design philosophy is fairly common across the entire range of OMC-powered 4-stroke I/O boats. There are some minor differences between years and models but they are relatively minor. The 2-stroke V-4's are quite different on the motors themselves and use a slightly different motor-to-dash cable assembly from their more common 4-stroke brothers. For easier service, that dash/switch panels were modularly connected in later models (pos-'67). 1) Battery Cable Assembly (easiest of all to reproduce) Red (+) runs from battery to Starter solenoid, Black (-) to engine ground
2) Terminal block (usually 4-post) located in engine area, sometimes there may also be one under the dash.
3) Fuse Block (located under dash) usually has both pos and neg feed inputs with 9 fused outputs and ground buss terminals. Uses common "glass-type" AGC fuses. Fuse/circuit positions are lableled: Spare, Pump, Horn, Cig(ar), WW, Inst(rument)., Runn(ing), Int(erior) , Spare.
4) Dash Panel Cable Assembly. This cable connects to your instruments, warning lights, and switch gear or one end. The other end has two large multiple-pin connectors that hook up to the motor-to-dash cable.
5) Motor-to-Dash Cable Assembly Bow-end connects directly to the ammeter, while another connector hooks up to electric shift control, two large connectors hook up to dash panel connectors. Note: on electric stringers there is no default, "fail-safe" gear engagement system. Make sure your shifter switch and wiring are working properly. Loss of power to either forward or reverse coils could ruin your day. On the stern-end there are two, large connectors: 1) hooks up to engine functions, and 2) connects to the tilt solenoids and bilge pump/blower. There's typically a stern light connector and then some heavy, 8 ga wires connect the ammeter to the terminal block (# above).
6) Tilt/Bilge/Shift Harness/Cable plugs into one of the large connectors from the motor-to-dash harness. Other ends run to the tilt Up and tilt Down solenoids, the tilt motor connector, the shifter control harness and the bilge pump/blower connector.
7) Engine Harness/Cable this also plugs into it's own large connector from the motor-dash harness. The engine items it is wired to include: Alternator, regulator, coil, ballast resistor, water temp sensor, oil press sensor, starter solenoid and starter motor. Don't overlook the separate 8-10 ga black wire running from engine ground back down to the terminal block running. It's interesting that that last two cable (#6 and #7) are considered part of the engine and are not listed in my Sportsman boat parts book. That probably means that you could pull either of those assembly from just about any 64 - 77 electric stringer 4-stroke OMC and might plug-and-play. Chances are it won't be in any better shape than the one in your boat now, however.

Hope this is helpful. If your want further clarification, take a look at the wiring diagram(s) that Phil posted and this will make a little more sense. Sorry my scanner can't do it in one big continous pass.

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City