Re: [omc-boats] running while in tilt position

From: lib1@...
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 17:22:24 -0600

Yes, the electric stringer water intake is screened and is located in the
front of the rudder/exhaust port just behind the prop. Around 73-74 OMC
changed the design of the rudder exhaust where the water got picked up
behind the prop on the downside of the cavitation plate. I'm not sure why
they changed the water pickup design, but I've been told be a reputable OMC
mechanic that the last electric stringer rudder design did not help cooling.
Running the engine with much tilt, even briefly can compromise the water
pump impeller. The later 400/800 stringers did have the four little side
holes on a la MerCruiser for water pickup.

Lee