Re: [omc-boats] Re-powering Options

From: LeeHazen@...
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 11:15:13 EST

In a message dated 1/25/05 9:10:49 AM Central Standard Time, lib1@...
writes:

<< I know the whole idea of re-powering sounds crazy, but I like the idea of
more power and the turn-key reliability of EFI. The odd-fire Buick sounds
cool, but at 6500 - 7500 feet above sea level, it struggles a bit, especially with
4 - 6 adults on board.

 Any off-season, arm-chair captains, care to comment? >>

I have a Johnson "surfer" with V-8 and 210 hp. It uses a "Stronger" outdrive
unit than the V-6 155hp buick powered Seasport 155.

I don't know if you want to try to put more HP through that outdrive unit with
the electric clutches. I'd see if I could fine someone who knows the
limitations
of that outdrive unt and if it can handle more power. Of OMC changed the
outdrive to a stronger one just to accomodate 55 extra horsepower, they
must have known something.

I'd also stay with the original V-6 engine if it can be rebuilt. That would
eliminate
the intake and exhaust manifold problems as well as the space problem. Plus,
it would keep the boat original making it more valuable as an antique boat.

I'd love to put a big V-8 with shaft drive in my "Surfer" AKA MasterCraft ski
boats, but won't. I don't have the time to work on it now, so really should
sell it this year.

If anyone would like a good project boat, my 1970 Johnson Surfer w/original
Johnson trailer would be rewarding. It's the 19' boat with Chevy 307" 210 hp,
and OMC out drive. All it needs is to install a new intake manifold gasket
and
a battery. It will run OK now, but water is getting into the oil. Asking
$1,100.

Lee Hazen