[omc-boats] Re: omc-boats-digest V1 #202

From: Thomas Klauber <tklauber@...>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 22:14:51 -0400

Wow! Sounds quite involved. It also sounds like what I have spent the last
year or so doing to my boat. I found most of the replacement parts to be
satisfactory and totally unnecessary. Of course I do not know the condition
of your boat but the old stuff is quite simple and really bulletproof if not
rusted from a landsink (water in the boat). You need to seriously consider
your objectives with boating (all boating is expensive) and you either need
tons of money to throw to mechanics to get the job done (not necessarily
right) or cultivate an interest in "doing it yourself". I replaced lots of
things before realizing that the valves were not adjusted right in my boat
for instance. Thats the downside of doing it yourself! It takes very little
money to run tests on an engine. Get a SELOC manual for your year - that is
a good start.My boat has been a journey not a possesion and it slowly gets
better as I take each system out and repair it. Very little is worn out as
these boats mainly sit in the yard. I am constantly searching for parts
sources and there is no one stop shop for these parts. The easiest place is
your local NAPA store. They still stock parts that will work on OMC. I am
not really familiar with your set-up but they probably can help. Hopefully
you get a counterman that is patient. Get online and search - try ebay. The
season for most of us is about over so you have lots of time before the next
season. There is no hurry - enjoy the journey. Otherwise get a new boat and
skip all this. Happy boating. Tom K.