Re: [omc-boats] 1968 Johnson 155 wiring diagram

From: LeeHazen@...
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:15:58 EDT

In a message dated 8/22/04 10:51:04 PM Central Daylight Time,
mike.s.sweeney@... writes:

<< In search of a wring diagram for a 1968 Johnson Reveler 155. Can't seem to
 get a spark, I think it's the coil but would like to investigate further.
 Suggestions for where to find a coil would also be appreciated. >>

Mike, I used to own Johnson Seasport 155 boats - 1969 models, so I have a
little experience with the boats. I suggest:

Check the "Ign" fuse for oxidation in the fuse panel, Check the fuse too.

Make sure the points are clean and are making good contact when closed.
Use an ohm meter to verify "0" ohms when closed.

The ballast resistor may be open - it is in series with the coil when ignition
switch is in "run" position. It is bypassed during "Start" mode to give the
coil full voltage while the engine is turning over as when starting.

Check Rotor and rotor cap for evidence of arcing. Replace as needed.

Check the condensor - if it is shorted, no spark. Replace as needed.

If the points won't check out, replace them.

Finally, check coil. With the points "open" put coil HT lead close to a
grounded
surface. Use a cliplead to connect the points connection to ground and release
to see if you get a spark.

Also, verify that you are receiving voltage at the points connection on the
side
of the distributor when the ignition is ON. This should pulsate when cranking
as the points open and close.

I hope this helps. Now, let's see if I can fix MY boat - - 1971 Johnson
"Surfer".

Lee Hazen