Re: [omc-boats] Fw: diagnosis needed

From: LeeHazen@...
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 19:43:59 EDT

In a message dated 8/10/04 3:22:41 PM Central Daylight Time,
tklauber@... writes:

<< I put the 69 Rogue in the river today. Boy did she run bad. I can not
figure out the diagnosis and need help. I recently did a tear down of the engine
for water in the oil last year. It is a Chevy 307ci/210hp V8. Compression
seemed OK. >>

I used to have a 69 Seasport 155 and if the points got oxidised, it wouldn't
run worth a darn - if I gave it more throttle, it started slowing down. Try
replacing the points or filing the ones that are installed. Also, try cleaning
the fuse holder and the ignition fuse. Oxidation is common in that fuse
holder assembly. Also, check the multipin interconnect that is in the wiring
harness just about 12" from the fuse panel. Any oxidation there will cause
big problems.

If you have an engine that will fire but quits running after you release the
key,
check the ballast resistor - it may be open. It is bypassed when cranking to
give the coil a little over 8 volts, then the resistor drops the 12 volts to
6 volts
to the coil when it is running.

I have a 71 Johnson Surfer with the Chevy 307 V8 and I'm trying to
figure out where water is getting into my oil. I don't see any cracks in the
block
and all freeze plugs are in place.

One or two owners ago, the intake manifold was replaced and I suspect that
the gasket has failed. Water got into the engine oil and raised the oil level
a LOT. Previous owner ran it like that - when I got it, I checked and level
was
WAY high. Drained the oil/water mix which looked like honey and was about
the same consistancy. Very thick goo.

The engine did start up OK after a little starting fluid primed it, then I
shut it
down and found out about the water.

Does anyone have the flush adaptor that mounts on the side of the outdrive
at the pivot point? Or, a flush adapter that hooks on down by the prop?

good luck,

Lee Hazen
Old Hickory Lake
Hendersonville, TN