Re: omc-boats-digest V1 #131

From: Mstvsnd@...
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:25:27 EST

The Sweet 16 brochure says the basic hull with two seats (the standard
allotment) weighs about 900 lbs. The I/O version with Buick V6 weighs in at about
1200 lbs if I recall correctly. All my Evinrude literature is up at our cabin
so I can't refer to it at present.

Re the 16's ability to float, I have a funny story. The same year I got
mine, I saw another one on our lake (actually the only other Sweet 16 I've seen in
person, although there's a Johnson Reveler with an identical hull on the lake
- pictures on the site). I waved the guy over to my dock and we talked a bit
about our boats. He'd had his for over 10 years at that point, and he was
not, let's say, obsessive about maintainence. He'd burned out the original
StarFlite 90 hp engine years before and hung a newer E-rude 80 hp on it. He'd
also painted it with blue house paint.

He asked if I wanted to go for a ride. Sure, why not? It moved out very
smartly. Our lake has stump fields and shallow weedy areas where I would never
take my boat. Didn't stop him. He trimmed the motor up and plowed through
muck and vegetation at near planing speed. I asked him about the flotation issue
(I didn't know anything about the boats at the time) and he said he'd run it
with a 6" hole in the hull for three years and had just gotten it fixed that
spring.

I said that must have made quite a difference. He said not really, except
that now his feet didn't get wet.

Mike