Re: omc-boats-digest V1 #122

From: Thomas Klauber <tklauber@...>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:21:13 -0500

Been there, done that - I did the floor of my 19 ft Rogue last year - Your
timing is great - if you start now you can be ready for next season - the
top floor was fiberglass over plywood and this is over foam. There were 2
wood stringers running the length of the floor for support. The rear of the
stringers support the engine. The foam is closed cell type but I found a
good bit of it waterlogged - at least more than I was comfortable with. If
you are handy with a saw and ruler and can take pictures and go slow and
measure everything and not get in a hurry then you can do it for fairly
cheap. Dismantle the floor slowly and look at the construction so you can
redo like original - take pictures or make drawings - you will forget
details later so plan for that with drawings and measurements. The foam is a
2 part liquid you mix and pour and voila it expands like crazy - but you
gotta work fast - experiment first. I poured the foam first and put the
floor on later but Evinrude built the floor and poured or injected the foam
last I think. The foam can be sanded with a belt sander if necessary. I got
all my supplies from a company called Fiberglast. They ship quick. When you
get all the foam out you can fix the hole in your hull from the back side. I
would take my time on rebuild as you want things to fit right when the floor
is finished. I did not replace the stringers although they had some rot.
They are encased in fiberglass mat. I repaired the bad parts with new wood
and they work fine so far. Good luck and have fun! TK