Whale Tails

From: Pat Stevesand <stevpm@...>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 20:52:22 -0500

Does anybody out there have any experience with hydrofoils (also called
"whale tails")? I was cruising with three passengers in my '64 Sweet 16
last weekend, and one of them recommended installing them on my motor
(also '64, 90 HP) to get up on plane faster (it does take about 23 mph
to plane with four aboard). That would be tempting. The horn on the
bow obscures a good part of the forward view with the nose up. The
thought of drilling into the motor however...it's only four 1/4" holes
in the cavitation plate that could be 'poxied up if I didn't like the
effect, but still...

Any advice?

Mike Stevesand