Re: [OMC-Boats] spark

From: jd <jdood@...>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 08:52:47 -0700

ok - i can do that - ill figure out some way to sort of tie or clamp
it down.

   the metal of the connector is way up inside the rubber boot on the
end of the wire though and i don't think it slides back - so how
close do i need to get to metal to make it arc? 1"? 1/2" ? If I
can't get a spark it might in fact be because the boot is getting in
the way - adding another layer of confusion to my process of
elimination here.

  btw i meant clamping the wire in place somewhere with the
visegrips, not holding it :)

I've seen mechanics to this spark wire arc thing on occasion over the
years, but i've never done it myself. I always sort of knew there
was something semi-dangerous about it, but never knew why -
especially when all the other 12v wiring stuff in a car or boat is
pretty harmless if you touch it. Now thanks to Lee I know what a
coil does - basically boosts up the voltage - now makes sense why
people use more caution with the plug wires. I guess the fat
wire running from the battery to the starter is probably one you don't
want to touch also. Although there's no coil in that chain to boost
the voltage up. This is where my stupidity kicks in.