[OMC-Boats] Guidance sought re: tubing and water skiing

From: John Schmelzeis <northphx@...>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 21:53:10 -0700

Happy new year, everyone!

I am preparing for our first season of tubing and water skiing and seeking guidance on the best way to secure tubing and ski ropes to the boat. Currently, the two lift hooks on the transom are the only areas to attach the ski or tube ropes to my '67 Surfer.

Questions
  a.. Is it sufficient for skiing and/or tubing to attach the rope to one of the lift hooks? I am hoping "yes", but worry about low positioning for skiing and potential sub-optimal positioning within the wake for both skiing and tubing.
  b.. Is the installation a ski pylon highly recommended? If so, any recommendations on how and where is best to secure?
  c.. Would a Ski tow ring attached to the "nameplate" (Surfer/Evinrude labeled area above the Sterndrive) area -albeit reinforced - provide enough height.......can it be reinforced in a secure enough manner in folks experience?
Any guidance/experience/recommendations that anyone can provide to help inform this decision would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
John