[OMC-Boats] Some water in the foam....

From: Scott Veazie <scottveazie@...>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 14:23:17 -0700

So upon closer inspection of an old keel fiberglass repair, I saw that it was cracked a little, with a little water weeping out. I've made this repair on my other boat before, and I know some water had gotten to the foam, but not much. Basically now I've drilled a small hole in that area to help more water come out, and with 90 degree plus days coming up this week, it should help dry it out.

I don't think much water has gotten up in there, the boat had been out of service for over a year prior to my two short trips out (less than 30 mins. each) so I'm going to let as much as I can weep out, and then closer her up with some marine tex and a sheet of fiberglass. It's about a quarter inch hold, nothing crazy. I don't feel much water has water logged it, it's probably a little heavier than it should be, but I can still get her up to 36 or 37mph. It's a 1968 Sportsman, so after my small patch job on the bottom and after the season, I might cut a couple of 6 to 8 inch access holes to get my shop vac down in there.

Any ideas where I can do the least amount of damage? I was thinking under the bow seats, and I believe the fuel tank on these models is above the floor. Looking at things, if I go under the boat seat storage, I could get in there and chop up the old foam if it's too bad, suck it out along with the water, and do some small re-foaming.

~Scott

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.